Letters of support and updates on College of Mass Communications Dean Rolando Tolentino's bid for UP Diliman Chancellorship

Friday, February 4, 2011

Letter of support from Prof. Mercedes Planta, Ph.D from the Department of History, College of Social Sciences and Philosophy, UP Diliman

4 February 2011


To the Board of Regents
University of the Philippines System

I am writing in support of Professor Rolando B. Tolentino as the next
Chancellor of the University of the Philippines Diliman.

I have had the pleasure of knowing Professor Tolentino for over a
decade now, beginning with the first year of my teaching career at the
UP Department of History in 1996.  Since then, I have known Professor
Tolentino in many capacities. He was a senior colleague and later, a
real friend who guided me to commit myself to the university before I
earned my tenure.

Professor Tolentino was a visiting fellow at the National University
of Singapore (NUS), where I did my Ph.D. in 2005-2006. While in NUS,
he was largely instrumental in bringing Filipino scholars together.
His presence served as a reminder for me and for many Filipino
scholars at NUS then, of how our endeavors are not only about personal
gains. Professor Tolentino believed that a deep and sincere love for
our country and our people should be part of the heart of all our
struggles. And now, more than ever, Professor Tolentino has
demonstrated these commitments, especially as Dean of  MassComm.

Professor Tolentino is an intelligent, capable, dedicated, and
personable scholar who is also focused and sensible. I am confident
that Professor Tolentino has the experience, thoughtfulness, drive,
dedication, and the moorings needed to be the next UP Diliman
Chancellor.

Thank you for your consideration.


Truly yours,

MA. MERCEDES G. PLANTA, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of History
Department of History
University of the Philippines
Diliman, 1101 Quezon City

No comments:

Post a Comment